On April 22nd, 2016 the signing of the Paris Agreement marked the pledge of 175 countries to address climate change. Key was the opportunity to "strengthen the global response to the threat of climate change by keeping a global temperature rise this century well below 2 degrees Celsius and to pursue efforts to limit the temperature increase even further to 1.5 degrees Celsius." A special ceremony on April 22nd, 2016 took place at the United Nations in New York, over which Ban Ki-moon, South Korean politician, diplomat and eighth Secretary-General, presided. Sustainable development goals for climate action include: green transition; green jobs and sustainable and inclusive growth; green economy; investment in sustainable solutions; confronting all climate risks; and cooperation between countries.
Spurred by the ceremonious call to action, and held in Marrakech, Morocco, from November 7th-18th, 2016, the United Nations Climate Change Conference signified an important international meeting of political leaders and activists to continue discussion of environmental issues. The conference, known as COP (Conference of the Parties), takes place annually in different countries throughout the world, with the last one, COP26, hosted in Glasgow, Scotland.
The following articles are drawn from Proquest Historical Newspapers, which informs and inspires classroom teaching and learning.
- Davenport, C. (2016, Apr 01). Obama and Chinese Leader Vow To Sign Paris Climate Agreement Promptly. New York Times (1923-)
- Davenport, C. (2016, Apr 05). White House Report Links Global Warming To Health. New York Times (1923-)
- Marlowe, L. (2016, Apr 23). Climate Change Agreement Signed At UN: Leaders Of Main Polluter Nations Absent From Signing Of Paris Accord In New York. The Irish Times (1921-)
- Time To Share the Pain; No Excuses: Tackling Climate Change. (2016, Apr 23). The Irish Times (1921-)
- Davenport, C. (2016, Sep 22). Paris Climate Accord Passes a Milestone: 20 More Countries Formally Join. New York Times (1923-)
- McDonald, F. (2016, Nov 15). Meeting Climate Change Targets After Trump Election Will Be Acid Test Of Paris Agreement: The Marrakesh Climate Change Conference Gets Under Way In the Shadow of the US Election Result. The Irish Times (1921-)
- Innis, M. (2016, Dec 02). Great Barrier Reef Facing Multiple Threats, Report Says. New York Times (1923-)
- Thompson, S. (2016, Dec 31). New Year Resolutions For the Environment?: Will We Carry Through On Commitments We Make Or Will Our Resolve Just Melt Away? The Irish Times (1921-)
- Plumer, B., & Popovich, N. (2017, Nov 11). Tracking the World's Progress In Meeting Its Climate Goals. New York Times (1923-)
- Plumer, B. (2018, Sep 16). A Local 'Can-Do Spirit' On Climate Change. New York Times (1923-)
- Check out current and past Everett Cafe book displays that draw attention to the complex topic of climate change and the environment:
- Also see the TC Center for Sustainable Futures which aims to address environmental and sustainability education through research, professional development, and public engagement.
- UNClimate Change, COP Closing Day Plenary, November 19, 2016, Courtesy, Flickr
- Special News Slide, Courtesy of the Gottesman Libraries
Need to keep current, look to the past, teach a topic? The Everett Cafe features daily postings of news from around the world, and also promotes awareness of historical events from an educational context. Be sure to check the news postings on The Library Blog, where you can delve into history.